More Than A Food Bank: Our Latest Film
Let’s face it, food banks don’t address the real causes of hunger and poverty in our communities. In fact, some people think they contribute to the problem by encouraging dependency – especially now that food banks are such an (unofficially) established part of our welfare system.
That’s why Sufra NW London has always been #MoreThanAFoodbank. The emergency food we provide to our 4,000 guests is only the first step in a programme that lifts people out of poverty and helps them gain independence and live happier, more fulfilling lives.
This moving short film was made for us by an amazing volunteer and professional director, Chris Fowles, with support from the Media Trust and John Lyon’s Charity. It captures the spirit of our work at Sufra NW London – empowering people of all ages to be part of the solution. Please share it widely.
And remember, our work would not be possible without your help. As a local charity rooted in one of London’s most disadvantaged communities, your support enables us to tackle both the causes and consequences of poverty, social isolation and homelessness.
Our Welfare Advice service ensures that our guests have a roof over their heads and get the benefits they need to survive. Our Refugee Resettlement Programme supports migrants and asylum seekers to live with dignity in a new country. Our Community Kitchen and Garden provides opportunities for everyone to be an active part of their community. And our employment courses help people stand on their own two feet.
You Can be Part of The Solution
There are many ways you can get involved and support our work:
- Place an online shopping order to help feed our guests – the food will be used to restock our Food Bank shelves.
- Make a one-off donation or set up a regular standing order– every £25 will provide a weeks’ worth of essential food and toiletries for a person in need.
- Volunteer – join our team of 100+ dedicated volunteers who help deliver all our services. Click here for details of available roles.
- Follow us on social media. Like, share and comment on our latest film (and our other posts) Facebook/ Twitter/Instagram
- Organise a food collection at your place of work or among your friends and family – contact us for support
- Or get in touch if you have any other ideas or suggestions: email@example.com / 020 3441 1335